- 1.5 kg topside of beef
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 bulb garlic
- black pepper
- 1 medium onion sliced and chopped
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Pre heat oven to 240 degree celsius.
- Wash and cut the potatoes into cubes there’s no need to peel them. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.
- Pile all the potatoes, garlic and onion into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil, worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning
- Drizzle the beef with olive oil and worcestershire sauce and season well with salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning then rub all over the meat. Place the beef on top of the potatoes, garlic and onion.
- Place the tray in the oven, then turn the heat down immediately to 200 degree celsius and cook for one hour for medium beef. If you prefer medium-rat, take it out 5 to 10 minutes earlier. For well done, leave it in for another 10 – 15 minutes.
- If you’re doing roast potatoes , this is the time to crack on with them – get them into the oven for the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- Baste the beef halfway through cooking and if the potatoes look dry, add a splash of water to the tray to stop them from burning.
- When the beef is cooked to your liking, take the tray out of the oven and transfer the beef to a board to rest for 15 minutes or so. Cover it with a layer of tin foil and a tea towel and leave aside while you can make your gravy.