- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup each diced carrots, celery and brown onion
- 8 cups ( 64 ounces) low sodium chicken stock
- 1-15 ounce can diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup each diced potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a 5 quart heavy bottomed pot, heart the olive oil for 1 minute-high heat. Add onions, carrots, potatoes and celery. Add a pinch of salt to the vegetables and cook until begin to soften; about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, bay leaf and a pinch of black pepper. Cook for 1 minute
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes, or up to an hour. Stir in freshly chopped parsley before just serving.
This soup is perfect on a cold rainy day.