Beef Nilaga or is literally translated as “Boiled Beef” is a simple dish best served during rainy and cold weather.
- 2 lbs beef, cube or stripped
- 1 big potato, cubed
- 1 cabbage slice into wedge leaving the core in so the cabbage holds together or you can use bok choy or pechay
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots, cubed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper powder
- beef cubes
- green beans – 2 cups sliced, ends trimmed
- In a large stockpot, put together the beef, onions and beef broth. Over medium high heat, bring to boil. Then cover and continue cooking over a low simmer. Cook beef for 2-3 hours over low heat till is soft and tender.
- How to cook in different methods: To cook in Pressure Cooker ( Instant Pot) – cover and cook beef with broth and ingredients for 35 minutes. To cook in Crock Pot or Slow Cooker – cover and cook beef with broth, onions for about 6 hours till meat is soft. For cooking in the Slow Cooker and stove top, do not add vegetables till the end, at about the last 25 to 30 minutes. If cooking in the Pressure Cooker, boil the vegetables separately and add to the dish before serving.
- If cooking on stove top, after 3 hours and the meat is soft, add potatoes and carrots and cook for another 25 minutes more. Lastly, add the cabbage and green beans. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes more till green are soft and cooked.
- Season with salt and black pepper powder.